Saturday, March 21, 2009

San Dimas Stage Race

Time trial - 15:15 for 30th place in the 100 rider cat 2 field. It was a good effort for me and just the training I need right now to get into top racing form. We'll see if there's any good opportunities to shake things up in the road race this afternoon.

Road Race - the roads were way bumpier than i remember. Felt my handlebar move a little in the stem about 5min into the race. About 20 min in it was suddenly completely loose. Fell back to the follow car and managed to tighten it while riding. This was still so early in the race the pace was high and aggressive and I couldn't get back to the group = dropped. Rode hard for about an hour and then sat up, got in my car and went to Chipotle.

Crit - couldn't race and road my mountain bike in the rain and wind instead. I was soaked 15min into the ride, rode through whiting ranch but got pretty muddy and had to stick to the roads from there. Still felt some strength in the legs and pounded out some tempo climbs before heading home to see the sun come out the rest of the afternoon. Sometimes things just don't go as planned. Thanks to Beth for keeping me from getting too worked up about it.

Time trial results - how exciting!


This guy from the Tri Beth did makes me feel better about my road bike issues. How much time can a $10,000 time trial bike and aero helmet save you when you have to stop and spend a minute putting your shoes on at the start of the bike course?

3 comments:

  1. I had to tighten my handlebars while moving at Tunis one year. Good choice going to Chipotle, once you get dropped in a long road race it stops being fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that last pic is classic. tri geekin at it's best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahhaha, that is too funny

    ReplyDelete