Monday, April 19, 2010

Otter

Early in lap one of the 2010 Sea Otter.


Things didn't change much from this photo for the rest of the race. It was fast and hard, but also short and tactical... 31st out of 125 starters (15th American) was still a solid ride for a race that didn't suit me so well.
I had a great weekend otherwise hanging out with Beth in Monterey - enjoying some great weather in a beautiful place. I'm really thankful to be so healthy, fit, and have a great time at the races with a lot of cool friends. Beth and I were talking about how Mountain bike racers are some of the coolest, most interesting people you will ever meet. Very serious about their health and training, but also really laid back, loving the outdoors and experiencing life.

Balancing training and rest is everything during this time of the season with racing almost every weekend. I'm learning that I do need to be on the bike at least 5 days per week still, but being in the 2nd and 3rd month of back to back weekends of racing, only 1 big workout per week is my limit, and 2 short hard ones is better than one big ride. It doesn't seem like enough to only do 30-45 min of efforts for an entire week, but anything more and I'm not 100% fresh...
I hope Ryan Hall is having a good day in Boston, can't wait for the replay on Universal Sports tonight.

2 comments:

  1. you did awesome for such a weird xc race. however, you failed to mention our spot-on feeds in the midst of the super fast group you were in flying thru the feed zone. there should be a feed zone world championship. we would win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great spectator course, I guess that was the race organizers' goal. Being in the feedzone can be very interesting, it's fun watching all of the different kinds of handoffs. At the Pace Bend road race this year I saw someone drop their feed two laps in a row. There was also a guy who came through at least 3 times begging people for a feed. I helped a guy hand out regular drinking water bottles out to a couple Team Hotel San Jose guys. It was a hot hot day. Anyways...Great job this weekend Dana!!

    ReplyDelete