Monday, April 12, 2010

US Cup Santa Ynez

It's amazing how the little things can make a difference. Last night I was driving home from the races ready for a good burrito - and the Garmin finds a Chipotle close to the hwy 38miles down the road - perfect. At the time I wasn't too hungry, but by the time I was getting closer I was starving and had to pee really bad. I knew the burrito would be worth it though. Then I got comfortable in the slowest Chipotle line I have ever seen. The 2 ladies working loved cleaning the trays and filling them up with new stuff from the cook (even though they weren't empty) instead of just making some burritos. 20 minutes later I was having trouble even standing up and finally got to order my burrito. The whole stop was killing my drive time so I decided to eat in the car instead of getting home even later. I of course dropped crumbs everywhere, and didn't even enjoy the thing...

Anyway, the US Cup was a good weekend of training and ok weekend of racing. The Saturday XC was a solid race with 30 pros including some fast dudes such as Tinker. I felt surprisingly strong on the 1st lap and Ryan Woodall and I barely missed the front group and chased the entire lap at about 15 seconds back. It's such a wide open course the only things making it tough were the bumpiness and wind. So missing the group made things hard and I faded some the 2nd half of the race (1 lap race and 2 lap time trial for me) to get 7th.

Sunday morning I put in a 1:30 spin to open the legs and for a little training before the short races in the afternoon. I think this weekend proved that the schedule the US Cup is using this spring is NOT a good format. Come 2:30 only 11 riders of the 30 from the XC were back for the triple crown... and possible prize money... It was even windier than the day before and now threatening to rain. We had a fun 15min short track. Fun because I think we all knew that we were all crazy, racing around an empty field, in the howling wind, on a lame course, only because we love to race.

Sid and Morka must not have loved it as much as the rest of us because after their 1-2 finish they took off before the Super D that immediately followed. It was a pretty funny race though. The few of us that remained had a nice spin to the top of the hill and then sat on the ground behind some old wood downhill start ramps to hide from the gusting wind. Once our legs were good and frozen they started us on the 5min tie trial and we literally tried not to get blown over. It didn't feel good, but in a weird way it was pretty fun too!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/santa-ynez-valley-classic-ne

No comments:

Post a Comment