Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Park City Point to Point

I've ridden a lot of fun trails and raced a lot of long races, but the Park City Point to Point had the most fun trails I have ever ridden at a single event.  There is no exaggeration when the 75 mile race is advertised as being 90% single track.

I had a really good day on the bike and felt strong throughout the 6hr 50min day, which is a great feeling in itself.  Even though I had only seen the first 13 miles of the course the day before, my pacing worked out well and I flowed pretty well through just about all of the trails.  Going into the weekend I was pretty confident that if I rode well it would put me in contention for the top 5.  That didn't happen though and it seems like more guys are getting faster all the time.  I still had a solid top 10 finish and even though the exact result was a little bit of a let down I was happy with how I rode.  Alex Grant took his 6th win and is clearly on another level than the rest of us.  Tinker continues to amaze and was a strong 3rd while racing on a hard tail.

I stayed with a good friend from college and his family.  For me it doesn't get much better than staying in a mountain town with friends for the weekend.  Well it's better if my girls are there, but Beth's dad had heart surgery in Texas last week so Beth and Cameron have been back there.  Thank the Lord everything went well and he is doing well.

More than likely my season is over.  I do have a basically free ticket to Zurich next month booked on AA and have been floating the idea of doing 2 big marathon races in France including the Roc D'Azur.  I'm confident I could pull off a top 20 at one of them and qualify for 2015 Worlds, but there are some other things making the trip look difficult.  Being away from Beth and Cameron, work, and costs will all make it tough and I'm leaning towards no for the trip next month.  Either way I'm thankful for the continued opportunities to ride and race.  Very few races lived up to my goals this year, but I'm still happy, thankful, and looking forward to whatever God has in store for me next.


No comments:

Post a Comment