Monday, March 16, 2009

Transition Week

Daylight savings time is awesome, now I can ride after work instead of the crack of dawn!! This week I was reminded that there are some other challenges that go along with training after the 8-5 though. Being at work at 8am, spending 8-9 hours focusing on work, sitting all day, then trying to ride well from 5-7pm can be pretty tough. I start by riding to work in the morning so I can leave from work and start my training right at 5. The morning spin usually feels good and ends up being nicer than driving almost every time. The next important preparation would be a relaxing lunch break. This only happens for me maybe half of the time. Other times I’m working through and getting my brain even slightly more tired before the end of the day. A good snack around 3pm is probably the most important thing for having a good evening ride. PB&J, or yogurt and some sort of bar, pretzels and maybe some tea or coke for caffeine. Lastly, it takes some patience during the first 30min of the ride when I feel sluggish almost every time. Last Wednesday I went out on the mtn bike right after work, felt lame, couldn’t get my heart rate up, was thinking about how I may need a rest day, maybe even a rest week, and then on the first good climb 30min into the ride I all of a sudden I felt better and my body just turned on and did a good workout…

This weekend will be another learning experience as I do the San Dimas Stage race. I cant remember the last time I’ve done a real road race, as it’s been only parking lot crits for training for me the last couple years…

No comments:

Post a Comment