Friday, May 4, 2012

Progression

It might not be that obvious to observers, but many of the athletes in cross country racing are taking the sport to new levels every single season.  Sure, it's usually the same familiar faces at the top of the results lists, but I'm telling you these guys are getting better every year.

There's evidence from the front of the pro field to the back.   Take the very top riders at the World Cup level.  The most obvious example of their level of fitness is the several riders that made the transition to the Pro Tour road scene in Europe and are a big success.  Cadel, Ryder, Fugalsang, etc.

For me personally it's really clear that the level of competition to be in the top 20 at National level races is getting tougher ever year.   Many of my training numbers continue to improve slightly year over year, but my results at the nationals have basically leveled off as the other racers also get faster.

The biggest example of progression in xc racing was the Whiskey 50 last weekend.  I rode it less seriously in 2010, but still left everything out there by the end of the day and finished in 3:32.  This year I was blessed with a good day and rode at a different level to come across the line in a super fast 3:10.  In 2010 that would have by a win with 6min gap, in 2011 I would have been 3rd, but this is 2012 and I was 23rd place!  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the course has stayed the same year to year and...

2010
3:17 - winning time
3:32 - 11th

2011
3:05 - winning time
3:10 - would have been good for 3rd

2012
2:54 winning time
3:10 finish - good for 23rd

12 riders who finished top 20 in 2011 raced again in 2012.  All of them but 1 went faster.  6 of them finished worst even though they went faster!

Brady went 9 minutes faster but finsihed 7 places worse.
Peter Glassford went 4 minutes faster but finished 14 places worse.  
Collin Cares went the same time but finished 21st instead of 2nd.

That's some fast bike racing!  To me it's awesome to see the sport I love pushed to new levels.  God made the human body the most amazing engine on the planet and I'm a huge fan of people that dedicate themselves to a lifestyle of fine tuning that engine.  Long live endurance athletes.

No comments:

Post a Comment