Monday, June 24, 2013

Learning to Listen

Well the CA State Champs race in Big Bear was a giant bust for me.  I'm not sure all the parts that contributed to my bad day, but when the gun went off I didn't have the legs, and went I didn't have the legs I wasn't mentally ready to make a good race happen from there.

Once again I found myself questioning my racing all together.  This year has been awesome for me in a lot of ways, but I've really been challenged with my racing.  After months of great training I've yet to have any big breakthroughs on race day, and ran into bad luck at about half of my races so far.  I keep praying that God shows me if he plans to do more through me at the races, or if it's time to move on.  I know there are a ton of great things the Lord has in store for me in the cycling world besides my own racing, but I'm not sure if it's time to dive into those other things or not.

Even being disappointed with a couple months of "average" races, I know I'm really blessed in life.  I'm excited and anxious to live more fully for God, but my ability to hear and see God's plans for me lags behind my own need to plan and set goals for what's coming next.  It's hard to listen for God's direction when life is so busy.  Thankfully we don't have to have all the answers for God to start showing us the way, and if we stay faithful and humble, he will guide each of us at all the right times.  Of course there will still be plenty of bumps along the way, I'm definitely frustrated with the one I'm going over one right now.  I just hope my own experiences and thoughts speak to some of you reading this and that you rely a little more on God and a little less on yourself for the things that you're chasing in life.  Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Do you pray to ask if God wants you to race? Perhaps he is guiding you. Also, if it glorifies God, and God wants you to race, shouldn't you rejoice in all circumstances? Look at it this way: if your racing leads to someone else growing closer to Christ, isn't that infinitely more important than a race result?

    I go through this question simply for riding all the time. Sometimes I ask, sometimes I listen. When I do both, I enjoy so much more, simply knowing I am in God's will.

    That said, it is harder at some times than at others. As you mention, it's a Good thing we can lean on His grace.

    ReplyDelete