Tuesday, November 4, 2014

I'm back! What off season really means for the average bike racer

It's that time of year again when I don't ride my bike very much.  I'm not sure off season is the right term though, because I still have so much going on.

For all of us that love endurance sports, but don't get to do them for a living, the "off-season" seems to mostly be a time to catch up on a lot of other things in life.  This year has been especially crazy for me. In just the last 2 months my father-in-law had open heart surgery, my car died (a couple times), I won a free lease on a new car through a charity raffle, my grandmother passed away, I'm getting a dental implant done, work has been as busy as ever, and I have a 2 year old!

God has definitely been testing me some, and some days I handle it better than others.  With all the challenges in life it can be really hard to balance our hobbies and passions.  At the end of the day we have to fight for the things we love and make them a priority.  I try to put God and my family first.  I try to give my best at work and make a positive difference there.  Those things alone take and deserve a LOT of time and energy.  But I also love riding and racing my mountain bike and know that God made that part of who I am.  So even though it's not easy I'm still working hard to make that a priority in my life.

Seasons are good, and the time away from riding has been good.  Getting back into training and spending time doing what I love will be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment