Thursday, February 26, 2015

Work AND Race Successfully - Don't Compare Yourself to Others

Well I've tried 3 times to start writing this post with the focus on realistic expectations, but I keep coming back to a different starting point...

Don't compare yourself to others

Previously I wrote a post about pure motivation.  You could also sum up that post by saying "don't compete for the approval of others."  Beyond that I've learned that you also have to be careful that you don't to compare yourself to others.  This has been on my radar a lot more the last year or two after a couple really powerful messages from a couple pastors I follow - Judah Smith and Steven Furtick.  In a world of social media we are constantly comparing ourselves to everyone else whether we realize it or not.  Now you can be friends, or at least follow, the top athletes in your sport and see how they live and train day to day.  On one hand that's really cool, but on the other hand you have to be really careful that you don't let it lead to comparing and envy.  For most of us we rarely get to ride in the nicest part of the day, stop for coffee, and post it on instagram before going home for a nap.  It's not a bad thing that a select few can make a living doing that, but it's not really something to aspire to in itself.

In the on-line world most people only share the positive things that make them look good and you rarely see the struggles they are probably facing.  There are plenty of challenges that go along with trying to make a living based on athletic results.  Even if you don't have any aspirations of going pro, you have to be careful of comparing yourself to others in the same stage of life as you who seem to "have it better".  A couple weeks ago, there were 5 days that I rode in the fog at 6am, only to look out the window at sunny blue skies while working later in the day.  But I've slowly learned to embrace the lifestyle and routine I have instead of comparing it to some of the guys I race against and wishing I had their schedule.  It's not always easy, but you can control your outlook on life.  Worrying too much about what other people are doing will do very little to get you closer to your own goals.  Most of the time it will only lead to frustration.  To be successful you need to focus on the process, recognize and make the most of the opportunities that are already in front you.

I'll close with a quick race update.  Last weekend the Harding Time Trial was my first test of the year and I came up a little short.  On the ~55min climb I was about 1:30 off my best.  Given some other really good workouts recently I was hoping to beat my previous time, but I was just a little off my best and also had some hamstring issues creeping back .  I've since had a couple days of decent rest and 2 good rides while trying not to over do it with my hamstring.  A couple more easy days and I should be ready to rock at the first Kenda Cup/ CA series race at Vail Lake on Sunday.  Thanks for reading, God bless!

1 comment:

  1. The problem with comparing oneself is that we lose sight of the gifts we have. I laughed at myself, because I was fretting over which bike to ride. Again, I was concerned about WHICH of MY BIKES to ride.

    Every good and perfect gift...

    ReplyDelete