Saturday, November 7, 2009

Santiago Peak

Rode from home to the peak this morning. Good times! 3.5hrs to get there, the last 2hrs all climbing. It was a great ride and my toaster pastries and snickers bar kept me well fueled. My endurance pace is now a little off from where it was during the season, so I'm going a slightly slower pace while working at my normal endurance pace. Views from the top at 5,600ft were pretty nice as always. Chose to go down Joplin which is the most direct way. It's the trail the Crank Brothers dropper seat post is named after and is known as a steep, rough, usually overgrown little trail. But it was actually in really nice shape and there were more fun, smooth sections with a little more tree cover than I remember. There was really only 1 section I wish I had a seat dropper seat-post for. Everything else was fine on the full XC set-up. After Joplin it's down the Santiago Truck Trail and The Luge for a 8+ mile single-track descent. Of course I decided to ride out to the trails, so I still had a good 45 minutes to get home. It's gradually down hill, but always a tough stretch of riding for me since it's always at the end of a long one and I'm on the verge of needing to stop for food, but just want to get home. Anyway, 5.5hrs total and once I ate and slept for an hour, it felt great...

Oh yeah - this looks fun - http://www.barnyardclassic.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment