Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Work AND Race Successfully - Motivation

So you want to be successful at work and as an athlete.  That's what I've been trying to do for the last 10 years, and at least some of that time it has gone really well for me.  I sure didn't know what I was doing going into it, but my love for riding and the love for the training process kept me going even when it wasn't easy.  I learned some things along the way, a lot of times the hard way after a lot of frustration.  

I don't have everything figured out, but I do know the main things you need to focus on: Pure motivation, realistic expectations, and enjoying the daily process.   

These things are all inter-related, but to have any kind of long-term success you have to start with the right kind of motivation. 

Pure motivation

You have probably heard this a bunch of different ways before, and it’s common sense, but you have to love doing your sport more than you love getting results.  Whether we realize it or not we all seek satisfaction from results and the approval of others.  Those things alone can be really strong motivators.  But if you're only satisfaction comes from results you're most likely not going to make it that far in endurance sports.  Cycling and running are too hard and very few people get to win.  Even if you do have a lot of success, if your motivation is based on results and approval you will most likely feel like the success you do have is never enough. 

I actually think a lot of races have too many categories and too many people getting on podiums.  If the fact that you got 3rd place in a field of 6 people at a local race is the highlight of your month, I'm sorry but you're probably not fully enjoying everything that racing and training can be.  In that same race the person who got 4th place could actually have a lot deeper sense of satisfaction because they overcame some obstacles with a busy schedule, trained hard to race a distance they have never done before and rode to the best of their ability on that day.  My point is that just focusing on the results and approval that comes with them is often our natural tendency, but you have to have a deeper motivation and focus to truly be your best and get true satisfaction out of your racing.

Of course results matter.  I have specific race result goals that I’m working towards, but I also have motivation and purpose far beyond the results.  If I was racing for results, or money, or attention I would have quit a long time ago.  Or maybe I would have taken a different path to get to the next level like a lot of the “heroes” who doped their way to the top.  Instead I followed what I loved and even though I fall short of a majority of my goals, I still have a strong sense of satisfaction from my racing.  

Results, money and attention are few and far between in endurance sports.  I sometimes get to enjoy those things as rewards along the way, but I’m after a lot more in my racing.  I want to make the most of the physical talents God gave me, I want to experience his presence when I’m out in nature, I want to build friendships and encourage others, I want to be a good example for my family, I want to learn how to keep my head up when I fail at my own goals and aspirations.  My hope is that you find that kind of meaning in your racing too!   Thanks for reading!


First time on the road scene in about 4 years at the Roger Millikan Memorial Crit on Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment